Thursday 1 January 2015

A strange year...

Having left 2014 behind, it seemed appropriate to do that clichéd thing of reflecting on the year gone by.  As has been true for several years now, 2014 brought more than its fair share of bad news, so I make no apologies here for focusing on the positive things.  The word that seems to sum it all up was... unusual.

Within the last twelve months, I've climbed into the caldera of a volcano, cycled round a Greek island, run naked into an iced pool in the middle of a city and my bald spot has appeared on BBC One.  I've eaten a kudu, been chased by a rhino, kissed by an elephant and charged by a warthog.  I've dived with rays, hunted for gnomes, danced with Zulus, queued for Wimbledon and swam in a desert.  I've been to shows as diverse as a hip-hop concert, some fantastic comedy and Pinocchio in Polish and have experienced a Mauri haka done to Scottish ceilidh tunes accompanied by a didgeridoo.  I've learned to lay slabs, catch termites, vote by proxy and finally grasped the subjunctive tense in French.

None of this could be regarded as ordinary, but all of it has been great fun.  Who knows what 2015 will bring, but part of the fun is in the unknowing.

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment